Recipe Detail Page
Smoky Red Chili Turkey Wings
Wings are turkey’s best-kept secret. They’re affordable, easy to cook and delicious when treated well. The chilli rub can be made up to three days ahead. Look for bunches of cilantro with the roots attached for this recipe.
1/4 cup (60 mL) canned chipotle peppers in adobo, seeds removed
1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped jarred roasted peppers
4 whole garlic cloves, peeled
1 tbsp (15 mL) smoked paprika
1/4 bunch cilantro, leaves chopped and roots reserved
1 tbsp (15 mL) Diamond Crystal kosher salt or 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) table salt
1/4 cup (60 mL) canola oil or other neutral oil
4 whole turkey wings, cut at joints, tips removed, about 4 lbs (1.81 kg)
1 lemon, juiced
1 shallot, peeled and sliced thinly into rings
3 green onions, finely sliced
1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped peanuts
1. Place chipotles, roasted peppers, garlic, paprika, cilantro roots, salt and canola oil in blender and process until smooth.
2. Reserve 1/4 of the mixture. Place remainder in a large bowl with turkey wings, mixing until well-coated. Cover, refrigerate and allow to marinate for 4 hours or overnight.
3. Pour lemon juice over sliced shallot. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
4. Preheat oven to 200°F (93°C).
5. Place turkey wings on a parchment-lined baking tray and bake in the oven for 1 hour 45 minutes or until an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) is reached. At this point, turkey wings can be grilled and served, or cooled and reserved for up to 1 day before grilling.
6. Preheat barbeque to high heat, then reduce heat to medium-high.
7. Grill turkey wings until well-browned, heated through and beginning to crisp, about 10 minutes.
8. Brush wings with remaining red chilli marinade, and toss with cilantro leaves, green onions, peanuts and shallot. Serve immediately.