1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
3 onions, finely chopped
2 cups (500 mL) sliced mushrooms
1 lb (500 g) ground pork
1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef
1 cup (250 mL) finely chopped celery
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 ½ tsp (7 mL) salt
1 ½ tsp (7 mL) cinnamon
½ tsp (2 mL) fresh ground pepper
½ tsp (2 mL) dried savoury
¼ tsp (1 mL) ground cloves
1 ½ cups (350 mL) beef stock
1 cup (250 mL) fresh bread crumbs
½ cup (125 mL) flat leaf parsley, finely chopped.
1 egg, whisked with 1 tbsp water for egg wash
- Sauté the pork, beef, mushroom and onions in vegetable oil in large pan until the meat is browned.
- Add the celery, garlic, salt, cinnamon, ground pepper, savoury and ground cloves and continue to sauté for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add in beef stock. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 35 to 45 minutes, until about 2 tbsp (30 mL) of liquid remains.
- Stir in the bread crumbs and parsley.
- Cool the mixture in a shallow pan covered with plastic wrap.
- Fill pie shell with the cooled filling, top with the pie crust. Cut several small slits in top of the pie and brush with egg wash. Bake at 450°F (230°C) for 10 to 12 minutes until crust is golden, then reduce heat to 350°F (180°C) and continue to cook until filling bubbles through slits in pie centre (about 35 minutes).
1 ½ cups (350 mL) all-purpose flour
½ cup (125 mL) shortening
¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
2 ½ tbsp (40 mL) cold water
½ tsp (2 mL) vinegar
- Combine flour, shortening and salt until mixture forms pea-sized clumps.
- Whisk together egg, water and vinegar and add slowly to the flour mixture. Stir until a moist dough forms.
- Cover with plastic and refrigerate for 20 minutes before using.