2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
1 red onion, thinly sliced
8 oz (250 g) mushrooms, thinly sliced
Pinch each salt and pepper
1/3 cup (75 mL) chili sauce
2 tbsp (25 mL) prepared mustard
1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
1 small onion, grated
2 small cloves garlic, minced
½ cup (125 mL) bread crumbs
¼ cup (50 mL) chopped fresh Italian parsley
12 oz (375 g) extra-lean ground beef
12 oz (375 g) lean ground pork
Baguette slices or small dinner rolls or small buns
1 cup (250 mL) shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- To make toppings, heat half the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook onions for about 15 minutes or until softened. Set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in same skillet over medium-high heat and cook mushrooms, salt and pepper for about 8 minutes or until golden and no water remains.
- Whisk together chili sauce, egg, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, onion and garlic. Add bread crumbs and parsley. Add beef and pork and, using hands, combine until evenly distributed.
- Form patties, about 2-inches (5-cm) wide. Place on foil or parchment-paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake about 15 minutes or until no longer pink inside.
- Place burgers on baguette slices or in buns and top with onions, mushrooms and cheese, if using.