2 tbsp (30 mL) Thai fish sauce
2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
2 tbsp (30 mL) packed brown sugar
¼ tsp (1 mL) red chili flakes
8 oz (250 g) frozen, cooked shelled shrimp, thawed
1 large mango, peeled, pitted and diced
3 radishes, cut into matchsticks
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped cilantro
2 tbsp (30 mL) shredded fresh basil
1 tsp (5 mL) Asian chili-garlic sauce
1 tsp (5 mL) sesame oil
6-inch (15-cm) rice paper wrappers, about 12
- In a small bowl, whisk together fish sauce, lime juice, sugar and red chili flakes until sugar dissolves. Set aside.
- Pat shrimp dry, then chop. In a bowl, toss together shrimp, mango, radishes, green onions, cilantro, basil, chili-garlic sauce and sesame oil.
- Working with 2 wrappers at a time, dip them in a bowl of warm water and lay out in a single layer on a clean tea towel.
- Spoon about 2 heaping tbsp (30 mL) shrimp mixture in a strip just below centre of each wrapper, leaving a 1-inch (2.5-cm) border on either side. Fold in sides of each wrapper, then roll up wrappers to enclose filling. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
- Serve spring rolls with dipping sauce.
Makes about 12 spring rolls
Seared Scallop Salad with Orange and Bacon
¼ cup (60 mL) olive oil
1 tbsp (15 mL) white wine vinegar
1 tsp (5 mL) maple syrup
½ tsp (2 mL) minced garlic
Salt and black pepper to taste
4 slices bacon, finely chopped
12 large dry-packed scallops, patted dry
8 cups (2 L) washed and dried salad greens
- Grate 1 tsp (5 mL) zest and squeeze 2 tbsp (30 mL) juice from 1 orange. Cut peel and white pith from remaining oranges and separate into segments.
- In a small bowl, whisk together orange zest and juice, oil, vinegar, maple syrup, garlic and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Add scallops to skillet. Cook, without moving them, until seared, about 2 minutes. Turn scallops and cook until seared, 1 to 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss salad greens and orange segments with just enough dressing to coat them. Divide salad among 4 plates. Top each salad with scallops. Drizzle scallops with any remaining dressing. Sprinkle salads with bacon.