1 large yellow zucchini, cut into chunks
1 large green zucchini, cut into chunks
2 Asian eggplants, cut into chunks
1 large sweet red pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
1 red onion, coarsely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
1 tsp (5 mL) crumbled dried rosemary
¼ tsp (1 mL) red chili flakes
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes, drained
½ tsp (2 mL) granulated sugar
4 cups (1 L) fusilli pasta
1 container (454 g) 10% or 13% ricotta cheese
¼ tsp (1 mL) grated nutmeg
½ cup (125 mL) freshly grated
Fresh rosemary for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). In a shallow roasting pan, toss together zucchini, eggplants, sweet pepper, onion, garlic, oil, rosemary, red chili flakes and salt and pepper to taste. Roast, stirring gently once or twice, until browned and tender, about 40 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and sugar to roasting pan. Stir well. Season with more salt, pepper, red chili flakes or sugar to taste. Set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F (180°C). In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook fusilli for about 8 minutes until tender but firm. Drain well.
- Spoon half of fusilli into a greased 10-cup (2.5 L) baking dish. Spoon vegetable mixture over fusilli, then top with remaining fusilli.
- Beat eggs in a medium bowl. Whisk in ricotta, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste until well combined. Pour ricotta mixture over fusilli to cover it completely. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, until bubbly and golden brown, about 45 minutes. Garnish with rosemary.
Serves 6 to 8
This is lovely with Medium-bodied & Fruity red wine.