6 strips beef short ribs
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped garlic
1 cup (250 mL) soy sauce
¼ cup (50 mL) sugar
1 cup (250 mL) beer
¼ cup (50 mL) sesame oil
¼ cup (50 mL) finely chopped fresh ginger
1 tbsp (15 mL) Korean or Asian chilli sauce
Vegetable oil to brush ribs
Serve with Grilled Pepper Salad (see recipe below)
- Score meaty side of ribs, opposite bone, ½-inch (1-cm) apart, ½-inch (1-cm) deep. Place ribs in large shallow bowl.
- Combine all marinade ingredients. Pour half of marinade over ribs, reserving remainder. Refrigerate 24 hours, covered, turning ribs occasionally.
- Brush oil on ribs. Grill ribs with the lid down, turning occasionally, for 14 to 18 minutes or until brown, crisp and rare to medium-rare.
- Bring reserved marinade to boil in pot on medium-high heat. Simmer for 6 to 8 minutes or until slightly thickened. Cut ribs through the bones and serve with sauce.
Grilled Pepper Salad
1 green pepper, cut in half
1 red pepper, cut in half
1 yellow pepper, cut in half
4 green onions, slivered
2 tbsp (25 mL) rice vinegar
1 tsp (5 mL) lemon juice
3 tbsp (45 mL) soy sauce
1 tsp (5 mL) sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) Asian chilli sauce
1 tsp (5 mL) sesame oil
1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
Salt to taste
- Preheat grill to high. Place peppers skin-side down and grill until skin blisters, about 5
minutes. Turn over and grill second side about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from grill, cool
slightly and remove skins. Slice into strips.
- Combine pepper strips and onions. In a bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients.
- Toss with peppers and serve with ribs.