32 gingersnap cookies, broken into pieces, about 9 oz (270 g)
1/3 cup (80 mL) unsalted butter, melted
1 can (300 mL) sweetened condensed milk, not evaporated milk
4 tsp (20 mL) finely grated lime zest
½ cup (125 mL) lime juice, about 4 limes
4 egg yolks
Whipped cream, optional
Lime slices and thinly sliced candied ginger for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). In a food processor, pulse gingersnaps until fine crumbs form. In a medium bowl, stir together crumbs and butter until well combined.
- Press crumb mixture over base and up sides of a 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate. Bake until firm, about 8 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F (160°C).
- In a bowl, whisk together condensed milk, lime zest and juice and egg yolks.
- Pour filling into crust. Bake until centre is just set, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely. Refrigerate, covered, until chilled, about 2 hours.
- Garnish with whipped cream (if using), lime slices and candied ginger.
Serves 6 to 8