1 large English cucumber
¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
3 tbsp (45 mL) sesame oil, divided
2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
1 tbsp (15 mL) rice wine vinegar
1½ tsp (7 mL) wasabi paste, or to taste
1 lb (500 g) small red-skinned potatoes, scrubbed and halved
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 cup (250 mL) small grape tomatoes
3 tbsp (45 mL) finely chopped fresh cilantro, divided
2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped chives
1 tbsp (15 mL) toasted sesame seeds, divided
- Trim, peel and cut cucumber in half crosswise. With vegetable peeler, peel lengthwise into very thin strips, discarding core of seeds. In a colander set over a bowl, toss cucumber with salt and let stand for 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 tbsp (15 mL) sesame oil, vegetable oil, vinegar and wasabi. Steam or boil potatoes until just tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Add hot potatoes to dressing and toss well. Let cool completely, tossing occasionally.
- Preheat barbecue to medium. Rub chicken breasts with remaining sesame oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill chicken, with lid closed, until no longer pink inside, 12 to 14 minutes, turning once. Transfer to a cutting board, cover loosely with foil and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, 2 tbsp (30 mL) cilantro and chives to potato salad and toss gently. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Rinse cucumber under cold running water and drain well, squeezing out any excess moisture.
- Just before serving, spread cucumber on a large platter. Spoon potato salad over cucumber. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro and half of sesame seeds. Slice chicken breasts. Sprinkle chicken with remaining sesame seeds. Serve with salad.
Try this salad with a bold Whisky cocktail, the Tennessee Kickoff.