BASIC PIZZA DOUGH
1 to 2½ tsp (5 to 12 mL) bread machine or instant dry yeast
2½ to 3 cups (625 to 750 mL) bread (hard) flour or all-purpose flour
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1¼ cups (300 mL) water
1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
Thinly sliced, caramelized onions
Thinly sliced prosciutto
Soft, fresh mozzarella, torn into pieces
Triple-cream Brie, torn into pieces
Washed and dried arugula
- To make dough in bread maker, use 1 tsp (5 mL) bread machine yeast and 2½ cups (625 mL) flour. Layer into canister along with salt, water and oil, following manufacturer’s directions. Prepare using dough mode. (If your machine has a programming device, set it so the dough is ready at suppertime.)
- Check the dough at the beginning of the cycle. If it seems too wet to form a soft ball, add a little more flour. If it’s already a firm ball, add a little more water.
- When cycle is finished, divide dough in half and form one half into a ball on an oiled pizza pan (if using). Let rest 10 minutes, then pat out.
- To make dough by hand, stir 2 ½ tsp (12 mL) yeast with 2½ cups (625 mL) flour and salt in a large mixing bowl and make a well in centre. Add water and olive oil to well. (Water should be very warm to the touch, like bath water.)
- Stir until all flour is incorporated into dough. If dough seems too wet, add a little more flour and, if too dry, add a little more water.
- Turn out dough onto a floured surface. Knead for 8 to 10 minutes, adding a little of the remaining flour as needed to keep the dough from sticking.
- Divide dough in half and place one half on an oiled pizza pan (if using). Flip over so dough is coated with oil. Let rest, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Punch dough down, then pat out on pan (if using). Let rise for 10 to 20 minutes until dough has almost doubled in thickness.
- Preheat oven to 450ºC (230ºC). If using a pizza stone, put stone in cold oven before preheating. Once oven reaches the correct temperature, wait at least 30 minutes for stone to heat before baking pizza.
- Stretch dough by hand, using your fist and fingers, until it reaches your desired thickness. (If using a steel pan, stretch dough on pan. If using a pizza stone, stretch dough on a floured surface.)
- Top dough with several spoonfuls of fig jam, spreading to within 1/2 inch (1 cm) of the edge. Scatter evenly with onions, prosciutto, mozzarella and Brie.
- If using a pizza stone, slide pizza onto stone using a pizza peel. If using steel pan, put pan in oven. Bake until cheese is bubbly and crust is golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove pizza from oven. Scatter with a handful of arugula and drizzle with balsamic glaze.
- Repeat with remaining dough and toppings.
Makes two 12-inch (30 cm) pizzas