1 cup (250 mL) unsalted butter, softened slightly, divided
1 cup (250 mL) blanched almonds
1½ cups (375 mL) corn flour
1¼ cups (310 mL) all-purpose flour
1 tbsp (15 mL) finely grated lemon zest
1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar, divided
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
2 egg yolks, beaten
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease a 10- or 12-inch (25 or 30 cm) springform pan with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of butter.
- Whirl almonds in a food processor until coarsely ground (not too fine).
- Place ½ cup (125 mL) of butter in a large bowl. Add ground almonds. Using your fingers and thumbs, mix until combined. Mix in corn flour, all-purpose flour and lemon zest until incorporated, being careful not to warm dough with your hands. (Dough should still be crumbly.) Add ¾ cup (185 mL) of sugar and vanilla. Add egg yolks. Mix and squeeze dough together by hand until incorporated but still crumbly.
- Tumble dough into prepared pan, distributing evenly over bottom without pressing. Distribute remaining butter in chunks overtop. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven until deep golden, about 50 minutes. Remove to a rack. Let cool completely before unmoulding and slicing.