1 lb (500 g) buffalo mozzarella, preferably DOP
1 cup (250 mL) canned San Marzano tomatoes with juices, preferably DOP, crushed
2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
3 basil leaves, plus more for garnish
Pinch dried oregano
2 to 3 lb (1 to 1.5 kg) pizza dough, preferably homemade
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Place mozzarella in a strainer set over a bowl. Let drain slightly.
- Purée tomatoes, oil, basil, oregano and salt in a blender. Set aside.
- Cut dough into three pieces.
- Working with 1 piece at a time, stretch dough over a lightly floured surface and shape into a square or circle to fit pan. Transfer to a greased baking sheet or 12-inch (30 cm) pizza pan. Spread one-third of tomato sauce overtop, spreading to edges. Tear one-third of mozzarella into pieces and scatter over pizza.
- Bake in oven until bottom is golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool slightly before removing to a cutting board and slicing. Garnish with extra basil leaves before serving.
- Rinse pan and let cool. Repeat steps 4 and 5 to make two more pizzas.