4 garlic cloves, sliced
1 shallot, sliced
1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
1 cup (250 mL) red wine vinegar
¼ cup (60 mL) kosher salt
2 large carrots
2 large parsnips
1 celery root
1 bunch Italian parsley
1 bunch cilantro
5 garlic cloves
1 tsp (5 mL) kosher salt
1 tsp (5 mL) Aleppo pepper
1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
1 tsp (5 mL) coriander seed
Canola oil to blend
- Place garlic, shallot, sugar, vinegar and salt into a large pot. Bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, cut carrots, parsnips and celery root into matchsticks and place in a large bowl.
- When liquid is boiling, carefully pour it over vegetables until just covered. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit on the counter for 30 minutes. When cooled, strain vegetables and discard liquid. Place vegetables in a bowl.
- For chimichurri, place parsley, cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin and coriander seed into a food processor. Whirl, adding a little oil at a time to keep mixture wet and consistent, until mixture is smooth.
- Carefully fold chimichurri sauce into vegetables and serve.