QUICK PICKLED ONIONS
½ cup (125 mL) white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
¼ cup (60 mL) water
1½ tsp (7 mL) granulated sugar
½ tsp (2 mL) salt
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 ripe avocados, pitted, peeled and coarsely chopped
Finely grated zest of 1 lime
1 tbsp (15 mL) lime juice
½ tsp (2 mL) hot sauce (or to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste
3 or 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 tbsp (30 mL) Montreal steak seasoning (or steak seasoning of choice)
4 warm 6-inch (15 cm) corn tortillas
¼ cup (60 mL) coarsely chopped cilantro
Cayenne pepper or paprika
- For pickled onions, whisk together vinegar, water, sugar and salt in a medium bowl until sugar and salt dissolve. Add onion, stirring to coat with vinegar. Let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- For guacamole, roughly mash avocados with lime zest and juice, and hot sauce in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- For tacos, rub chicken all over with olive oil, then season liberally with steak seasoning.
- Heat an oiled ridged grill pan over medium heat. Cook chicken, turning occasionally, until no longer pink inside, 12–15 minutes. Set aside to rest, then slice.
- Divide chicken among tortillas. Top with pickled onions and guacamole. Garnish with cilantro. Serve with lime wedges dipped in cayenne.