2½ cups (625 mL) chicken or vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
1¼ cups (300 mL) long-grain white rice
2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano leaves
¼ tsp (1 mL) hot red-pepper flakes, or to taste
2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 large sweet red or green pepper, chopped
1 lb (500 g) large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on
FETA CRUMB TOPPING
¾ cup (175 mL) soft fresh bread crumbs
¾ cup (175 mL) crumbled feta
2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- Place stock and bay leaf in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Add rice; return to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until rice is just tender. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Remove bay leaf.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, garlic, oregano and hot-pepper flakes, stirring, for 4 minutes, until softened.
- Add tomatoes and red pepper. Cook for 3 minutes, until softened. Stir in rice and spread in a greased 10-cup (2.5 L) shallow casserole dish. If making ahead, cover and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Bury shrimp in rice mixture. For the feta crumb topping, combine bread crumbs, feta and parsley in a bowl; spread over rice mixture. Bake in oven for 25–30 minutes, until shrimp are pink and topping is light golden.