6 bacon strips, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
1 tsp (5 mL) each ground cumin and dried oregano leaves
1 lb (500 g) smoked sausages (about 4), chopped
2 cans (540 mL each) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (796 mL) diced tomatoes
1 cup (250 mL) beef broth
1 pkg (320 g) frozen pie shells
1 egg, beaten
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook bacon for 5 minutes until fat is rendered. Remove all but 2 tbsp (30 mL) of fat from pan. Add onion, celery and carrots. Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes until softened. Add garlic, jalapeño, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute until fragrant and well-coated.
- Add sausages, beans, tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until thickened. Let cool.
- Make sure pastry can fit top of 10- or 12-cup (2.5 or 3 L) casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Pour cooled chili into casserole dish and top with pastry. Cut small vent holes in top of pastry and brush with beaten egg.
- Bake on centre rack for about 45 minutes until pastry is golden and chili is bubbling.