2 cups (500 mL) store-bought sauerkraut in wine
⅓ cup (80 mL) finely chopped chives
1 tsp (5 mL) caraway seeds (optional)
½ to ¾ lb (250 to 375 g) skinless, boneless turkey breast, pounded to ¼-inch (5 mm) thickness
½ cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
1 tsp (5 mL) sea salt
2 eggs, beaten
2 tbsp (30 mL) milk
1¼ cups (310 mL) panko bread crumbs or regular, unseasoned bread crumbs
2 tsp (10 mL) dried thyme
1 tsp (5 mL) pepper
Shortening, oil or lard for frying
Creamy Roasted Beet Mustard (recipe follows)
- Drain sauerkraut in a sieve over a bowl, pushing down lightly a couple of times. When most excess liquid has drained out, place sauerkraut in a bowl with chives and caraway (if using). Stir to combine. Set aside in the fridge.
- Cut turkey into 4 pieces. Place each piece between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. With a meat mallet or bottom of a heavy pot, pound meat until about ¼ inch (5 mm) thick.
- Cut turkey into 3-inch (8 cm) squares; you should have 16 pieces. Set aside.
- Whisk flour and salt in one bowl, and egg and milk in a second bowl. In a third bowl, stir together bread crumbs, thyme and pepper.
- Dredge turkey in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs, rolling meat around in crumbs to coat without pressing crumbs into meat.
- Lay breaded turkey in a single layer on a baking sheet or platter lined with parchment. Refrigerate, uncovered, for about 10 minutes. (This helps coating dry out a bit and become crunchier.)
- Set a large high-sided skillet (cast iron is best) over medium heat. Add enough fat to create a depth of about 1 inch (2.5 cm) in skillet. Heat to about 350°F (180°C).
- Place several pieces of breaded turkey in hot oil, but do not crowd skillet. Cook for about 6 minutes, flipping once, until golden and crunchy on both sides. Remove from skillet and set aside to drain on a cooling rack set over a baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining breaded turkey. Serve topped with sauerkraut and a dollop of Creamy Roasted Beet Mustard.
Creamy Roasted Beet Mustard
1 large or 2 small red beets
⅔ cup (160 mL) hot German mustard
½ cup (125 mL) sour cream, crème fraîche or Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Scrub beets, drizzle with a little oil and wrap tightly in heavy-duty foil. Place directly on the oven rack and roast for 30 to 60 minutes, until a knife slides in easily. Remove from oven and let cool in foil.
- When cool enough to handle, unwrap beets and peel. In a food processor, combine beets, mustard and sour cream. Process until completely smooth. Transfer to a serving dish.