3 lb (1.5 kg) fresh tomatoes
½ cup (125 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
3 cups (750 mL) finely chopped red onions
2 bay leaves
1½ lb (750 g) fresh porcini mushrooms, chopped
2 lb (1 kg) ground pork
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped garlic
1½ cups (375 mL) dry white wine
5 basil leaves
1½ lb (750 g) fettuccine
½ cup (125 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- Core tomatoes and use a sharp knife to score an X through the skin at the base.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add tomatoes. Cook until skins begin to split, about 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, scoop tomatoes from water and peel off skins. Use your hands to squeeze tomatoes into pieces into a bowl and reserve.
- Heat olive oil in a large deep frying pan or Dutch oven set over medium-low heat. Add onions and bay leaves. Cook until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté until juicy, about 3 minutes. Add pork, season with salt and pepper and continue to cook, breaking up pieces with a fork, until pink is gone and pork is browned, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add white wine. Cook until almost evaporated, about another 5 minutes. Add reserved tomatoes. Turn heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until flavours have combined, about 10 more minutes. Stir in basil leaves.
- Cook fettuccine following package directions.
- Add fettuccine to ragu and toss to combine. Add Parmesan before serving.