1 medium head cauliflower, about 7 cups (1.75 L) florets
¼ cup (60 mL) vegetable oil
1 cup (250 mL) chopped onions
1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped ginger
1 tbsp (15 mL) mild curry paste or 2 tsp (10 mL) curry powder
2 tsp (10 mL) chopped garlic
4 cups (1 L) chicken stock
2 tsp (10 mL) lemon juice
Freshly ground black pepper
2 or 3 cauliflower raw florets
1 recipe Coriander Chutney (recipe follows)
- Very thinly slice raw cauliflower florets on a mandolin or by hand. Choose the best ones and place 3 or 4 at the bottom of each serving bowl. Ladle hot soup into bowls and swirl Coriander Chutney on top to garnish.Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Cut cauliflower into florets. Toss cauliflower with 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil. Season with salt. Place on a baking sheet and roast, shaking occasionally, for 15–20 minutes or until tender and browned.
- Heat remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Stir in onions and sauté for 1 minute. Add ginger, curry paste and garlic. Toss together and sauté for 1 minute. Add roasted cauliflower and stir to coat with spices. Pour in stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer soup until cauliflower is very soft, 10–15 minutes, depending on size of florets. Add lemon juice.
- Purée soup using a hand blender or in a food processor, adding extra stock, if needed, to thin. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
1 cup (250 mL) fresh coriander leaves
½ cup (125 mL) chopped fresh coriander stems
2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped ginger
2 tsp (10 mL) sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
1 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed
⅓ cup (75 mL) plain yogurt
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine coriander leaves and stems with lemon juice, ginger, sugar, cumin and jalapeño pepper in a food processor. Process until chopped. Add yogurt and continue to process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.