3 cups (750 mL) chicken stock or water
⅓ cup (80 mL) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
6 oz (175 g) mixed mushrooms
¼ cup (60 mL) unsalted butter, divided
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2 cups (500 mL) chopped Spanish onion
2 cups (500 mL) carnaroli rice
1 cup (250 mL) dry white wine
½ cup (125 mL) grated Grana Padano or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped parsley
1 tsp (5 mL) lemon juice
½ tsp (2 mL) white truffle oil (optional)
- Heat chicken stock in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and set aside on a back burner.
- Heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add mushrooms and cook for about 2 minutes, until golden. Finish with 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat remaining ¼ cup (60 mL) olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Add rice and stir with a wooden spoon until rice is toasted and slightly opaque, 3 to 4 minutes. Add white wine and continue to cook until liquid is absorbed.
- Add warm chicken stock a few ladles at a time, allowing stock to be absorbed between additions, until rice is cooked and has a creamy texture, about 22 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add cheese and remaining 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter, then fold in reserved mushrooms.
- Let risotto rest on stove, covered, for 2 minutes, allowing starches to reabsorb slightly. Serve garnished with parsley and squeeze of lemon juice. Drizzle with white truffle oil, if using.