LCBO CELEBRATES ROBBIE BURNS DAY WITH SINGLE MALTS
January 17, 2017
In honour of Scotland’s favourite son, LCBO is toasting Scotch lovers ahead of Robbie Burns Day this year with a selection of premium single malts, including some rare and limited release offerings. They are the perfect products for raising a “wee dram” on January 25th to celebrate the world-renowned poet on his 258th birthday.
The popularity of Scotch whisky has been on the rise in Ontario with net sales growing by more than $27 million dollars over the past five years – an increase of 19 per cent.
Just in time for Robbie Burns Day, VINTAGES has selected three fine single malt Scotch whiskies, available in stores starting January 7, 2017.
Robert Burns Arran Single Malt (LCBO# 981084, 700mL for $49.95)
Speyburn 10-year-old Highland Single Malt (LCBO# 358333, 700mL for $59.95)
Glenfarclas 21-year-old Highland Single Malt (LCBO# 315614, 700mL for $149.95)
LCBO stores across the province will also offer a wide selection of Scotch ahead of January 25th, 2017. This includes the Deal of the Week offering of Aberlour 12-year old Single Malt Scotch Whisky (LCBO# 352104, 750mL for $64.95) special price of $54.95 from January 19 to January 25.
Old Ballantruan Peated Speyside Glenlivet (LCBO# 476879, 700mL for $99.95)
Glendronach Peated Single Malt Scotch (LCBO# 476721, 700ml for $89.95)
Aberlour 18-year-old Single Malt (LCBO# 250365, 750mL for $148.90)
Kilchoman Machir Bay Islay Single Malt (LCBO# 346338, 700mL for $99.95)
Benromach Organic Speyside 2010 (LCBO# 477083, 700mL for $96.95)
- Scotch is a malt or grain whisky, made exclusively in Scotland, following strict guidelines enshrined in Scottish law. For instance, all Scotch whisky must be aged in oak barrels for at least three years.
- A single malt Scotch whisky is produced entirely from the malt of one distillery, while a blended Scotch whisky combines malts and/or grains from two or more different distilleries in one bottle.
- Approximately 90% of the whisky produced in Scotland goes toward blended Scotch whiskies. Single malts are produced in much smaller quantities, making them more expensive.
- Scotch may be enjoyed “neat” or on ice. Adding a drop of water can open up additional aromas in the whisky.
- LCBO and VINTAGES together offer more than 300 Scotch whisky products.
For more information, customers should contact the toll-free, bilingual helloLCBO Contact Centre at 1-800-ONT-LCBO (668-5226) or online at www.helloLCBO.com. In Toronto, call 416-365-5900 or our mobile number #LCBO (5226). The TTY number for the deaf and hard of hearing is 416-864-6898 or 1-800-361-3291.
Customers are reminded to bring a reusable bag when shopping at the LCBO, and to take empty beverage alcohol containers (large and small glass bottles, PET plastic, Tetra Pak cartons, bag-in-box and cans) to The Beer Store for a full deposit refund.