LIVE, LOVE & TASTE LOCAL CELEBRATE AND SAVOUR THE TASTE OF ONTARIO
September 14, 2016
Together with VQA Wines of Ontario and Wine Country Ontario, LCBO invites customers to Live Love Taste Local during the 2016 Ontario wine promotion taking place at 657 LCBO stores across the province through October 8. It’s an opportunity to share pride in our world-class, award-winning wineries, and to celebrate the bounty Ontario has to offer– including local craft beer and spirits, produce and home-grown culinary talent.
Starting September 16, LCBO is taking VQA on the Road, bringing a taste of Ontario wine country to a series of events from TURF (Toronto Urban Roots Festival) to the National Bridal Show. The VQA on the Road van will feature wines that showcase some of Ontario’s classic grape varietals like Chardonnay, Riesling and Pinot Noir and will offer an opportunity to put your local wine savvy to the test in a blind tasting.
In-store, VQA tasting bars will be operating at LCBO’s 19 Our Wine Country Ontario Boutique locations. Ontario VQA wines will be sampled exclusively Thursday to Sunday at these locations through October 8th. More than 1,000 VQA tastings are scheduled at LCBO stores across the province.
For Thanksgiving, LCBO has also prepared a unique menu that pairs perfectly with a wine list of fresh new VQA offerings. It’s a match made in Ontario, perfect for hosting a Wild Thanksgiving dinner, featuring locally-farmed game meats and autumn produce.
In addition, 94 restaurants around Ontario are offering a special Live Love Taste Local program which offers VQA wine by the glass to pair with special local menus.
Show us how you live, love, taste and share local through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram using the hashtag #LCBOtastelocal. Follow us on Twitter @LCBO and @LCBONews.
· Sales of Ontario wine at LCBO were $456 million in fiscal 2015-16, almost eight per cent higher than the year before. Of that, $139 million were VQA sales, up by more than seven per cent over 2014-15 as VQA growth continues to outpace imports.
· In fiscal 2015-16, sales of VQA reds grew by almost eight per cent, while VQA whites grew by more than seven per cent. VQA Sparkling wine sales grew by almost 11 per cent year over year.
· LCBO stores regularly carry more than 300 Ontario VQA wines. VINTAGES offers 27 regularly stocked VQA wines and an additional 630 are available through VINTAGES online, and the bi-weekly release catalogue.
· LCBO sells wine from more than 100 Ontario vineyards and sold more than 1,200 different VQA wines in fiscal 2015-16.
· LCBO has 19 Our Wine Country Ontario boutiques, which bring to life the inspiring beauty of our four wine regions and offer an enhanced selection of exclusive, hard-to-find, niche and ultra-premium Ontario Wines. To further support the local industry and provide education to our customers, more than 375 LCBO retail employees are specially trained World of Ontario Wine leaders. Click here for more information on LCBO support for local wine.
To check out our Ontario wine experts’ top picks or to find a Live Love Taste Local event near you, click here or call the toll-free, bilingual helloLCBO Contact Centre at 1-800-ONT-LCBO (668-5226). The TTY number for people who are deaf or hard of hearing is 416-864-6898 or 1-800-361-3291.