BACKGROUNDER: TASTE LOCAL, LOVE LOCAL LCBO SUPPORT FOR ONTARIO WINE
September 22, 2015
● Together with VQA Wines of Ontario and Wine Country Ontario, LCBO presents Taste Local Love Local, the 2015 Ontario wine promotion taking place at 653 LCBO stores across the province until October 10.
● LCBO proudly sells VQA wines from more than100 different Ontario wineries. In fiscal 2014-15, LCBO sold more than 1,175 different VQA wines through its stores and VINTAGES online.
● Sales of Ontario wine at LCBO were $423 million in fiscal 2014-15, almost seven per cent higher than the year before. Of that, $130 million was VQA sales, up five per cent over 2013-14 as VQA sales growth continues to outpace imports.
● In fiscal 2014-15, sales of VQA reds grew by almost seven per cent, while VQA whites grew by almost four per cent. VQA Sparkling wines showed the strongest growth at an impressive 16 per cent.
● LCBO helps to support smaller wineries with the Ontario Wines Direct Delivery program which allows wineries to deliver their products directly to local LCBO stores.
● Ontario Wine Superstars and the Our Wine Country fixture program are regular promotions that showcase and promote Ontario wines through in-store signage and advertising features.
●LCBO’s popular Food & Drink magazine features Ontario wine and winemakers in all issues. To support the expanded fall promotional campaign, the autumn issue is dedicated to showcasing Ontario wines.
● The LCBO’s store network includes 20 Our Wine Country Ontario boutiques, which focus exclusively on Ontario VQA wine, and include hard-to-find products from smaller producers. All LCBO stores include prominent Ontario wine and craft beer sections.
● To further support the local industry and enhance the shopping experience, about 400 LCBO retail employees are specially trained World of Ontario Wine leaders.