Our Wine Country | LCBO
Fresh Ontario Spring Rolls
East meets west in these Thai-style spring rolls stuffed with Ontario fall vegetables.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- ½ cup (125 mL) finely chopped shiitake mushroom caps
- ¼ cup (60 mL) finely chopped red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ zucchini, cut into thin 1-inch (2.5 cm) strips
- ½ small sweet red pepper, seeded and cut into thin 1-inch (2.5 cm) strips
- ½ cup (125 mL) shredded carrot
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped mint
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 8 round rice paper wrappers, 6 inches (15 cm)
- ¼ cup (60 mL) peanut butter
- ¼ cup (60 mL) unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) hot pepper sauce (or more to taste)
- In a small skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion and cook, stirring, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Let cool.
- Stir together mushroom mixture, zucchini, pepper, carrot, mint and salt and pepper to taste.
- Working with 2 wrappers at a time, submerge them in a bowl of warm water until soft, about 30 seconds, then arrange in a single layer on a clean kitchen towel.
- Spoon about 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable mixture in a strip just below centre of each wrapper. Fold in sides of each wrapper and roll up to enclose filling. Cut in half, if liked, then put seam-side down on a serving platter. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the dipping sauce until smooth. Serve with spring rolls.