Our Wine Country | LCBO
Everyone’s favourite Italian dessert gets a Thanksgiving makeover with tangy cranberries and sweet orange.
- 4 large oranges
- 1 pkg (340 g) cranberries
- ¾ cup (185 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken
- 1 can (400 g) Devon custard
- 1 cup (250 mL) mascarpone
- ½ cup (125 mL) Grand Marnier or Cointreau
- 16 small ladyfingers
- Mint sprigs
- Grate 1 tbsp (15 mL) zest from 2 oranges and squeeze ½ cup (125 mL) juice from 1 orange (add water if necessary to make ½ cup/125 mL). Peel and segment remaining oranges and set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine orange juice, cranberries, sugar and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer until cranberries are soft, about 7 minutes. Let cool, then discard cinnamon and stir in orange zest.
- With an electric mixer, beat together custard and mascarpone until smooth.
- Divide half of orange segments among 8 dessert glasses. Pour Grand Marnier into a shallow dish. Quickly dip ladyfingers into Grand Marnier and arrange on top of orange layer, dividing evenly and cutting ladyfingers to fit. Top with half of mascarpone mixture.
- Reserving ½ cup (125 mL) cranberry mixture, spoon rest on top of mascarpone, dividing evenly. Top with remaining oranges, then remaining mascarpone mixture. Cover and chill for 1 hour. Garnish with remaining cranberry mixture and mint.