A simple cake infused with aromatic cinnamon and a chunky apple compote give a new twist to a classic fl avour combination. Use tart cooking apples such as Northern Spy or Empire for a chunky texture. Mix in one McIntosh if you like a little jamminess. The cake is much more fabulous served warm to maximize the flavour, but you can still bake it up to a day ahead. Just let it cool completely, wrap it well then pop it back in a 350°F (180°C) oven, wrapped in foil for 10 to 15 minutes while the coffee brews or the tea steeps. Warm up the compote, too. A dollop of whipped cream is a nice added touch if you want to go for a little more decadence.
1½ cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
2 tsp (10 mL) ground cinnamon or ginger
1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
½ tsp (2 mL) baking soda
½ tsp (2 mL) salt
½ cup (125 mL) butter, softened
1 cup (250 mL) packed brown sugar
2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla
1 cup (250 mL) sour cream or plain yogurt
2 tbsp (25 mL) packed brown sugar
Pinch ground cinnamon
2 tbsp (25 mL) water
4 large red-skinned apples, diced (peeled if desired)
¼ cup (50 mL) packed brown sugar
¼ tsp (1 mL) ground cinnamon
Pinch ground cardamom or ginger
Juice of 1 lemon
½ tsp (2 mL) vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease the sides of a 9-inch (23-cm) springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
2. Combine fl our, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla until blended. Stir in fl our mixture alternately with sour cream, making 3 additions of flour and 2 of sour cream. Spread into prepared pan,smoothing top.
3. Bake for about 45 minutes or until tester inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan on a rack for 30 minutes.
4. For the glaze, combine sugar, cinnamon and water in a small bowl, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove ring from cake. Brush top and sides with glaze and serve warm or slide the cake off the pan onto a rack and let cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, prepare the apple compote. Combine apples, sugar, cinnamon, cardamom and lemon juice in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until apples are tender but still keep their shape. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Serve warm with slices of cake.