With this dish there is an ongoing debate as to whether you should pit the cherries. I like the almond flavour the pits give to the clafoutis, so I leave them in and warn my guests.
1 lb (500 g) fresh cherries
2 tbsp (25 mL) kirsch
1 tbsp (15 mL) icing sugar
3 tbsp (45 mL) flour
3 tbsp (45 mL) sugar
¾ cup (175 mL) milk
Zest of ½ lemon
Extra icing sugar for dusting
1. Stem the cherries and place in a bowl. Add the kirsch and icing sugar, toss to mix and then leave to marinate for 2 hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
3. Butter and sugar a 9-inch (23-cm) ceramic quiche or shallow gratin dish. Sift the flour into bowl, add the sugar and whisk in the milk until smooth. Whisk in the eggs and lemon zest.
4. Scatter the cherries in the prepared dish, add any liquid from the bowl to the batter and then pour the batter over the cherries. Bake the clafoutis for 35 to 45 minutes or until the centre is just firm.
5. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve warm.