3 lb (1.5 kg) fresh tomatoes
½ cup (125 mL) extra virgin olive oil
3 cups (750 mL) finely chopped red onions
2 bay leaves
1½ lbs (750 g) fresh porcini mushrooms, chopped
2 lb (1 kg) ground pork
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped garlic
1½ cups (375 mL) dry white wine
5 basil leaves
1½ lb (750 g) dried fettuccine
½ cup (125 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- Core tomatoes and use a sharp knife to score an X through the skin at the base.
- Bring a pot of water to boil over high heat. Add tomatoes and cook for 30 seconds or until skin begins to split. Using a slotted spoon, scoop tomatoes from water, peel skins. Use your hands to squeeze tomatoes into pieces into a bowl and reserve.
- Heat olive oil in a large deep frying pan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add onion and bay leaves. Cook for 5 minutes or until onions are tender. Add mushrooms and sauté for 3 minutes or until juicy. Add pork, season with salt and pepper and continue to cook for 10 minutes or until pink is gone and pork is browned. Break up pieces with a fork as you sauté. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add white wine (and porcini soaking liquid, if any) and cook another 5 minutes or until almost evaporated. Add reserved tomatoes. Turn heat to low and cook another 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally or until flavours have combined. Stir in basil leaves.
- Cook fettuccine according to package directions.
- Add pasta to ragu and toss to combine. Add Parmesan before serving.